Friday, May 30, 2008

walking the streets...

I've been walking the business districts in the towns and cities in the 9th District.

It's been a good experience with a variety of responses-- from apathy to excitement, from people giving me time to treating me politely but wanting to get back to work.

From yesterday, two stories worth repeating...
-I was going from 131 to Eastern Blvd. when I passed that mini-mart/gas station on Kopp Lane. I wasn't going to stop for a single business establishment, but I noticed that Lady Liberty was on his sign along with the gas prices. So, I backed up and went in. Pointing out that I had LL on my business card, he asked if I had a yard sign. How's that for an easy sell?! Anyway, if you're in the area, say hi to him!
-I visited the Kirby vacuum store on 131 and I asked him if he had heard of Sodrel and Hill. He said he had never heard of them. I asked him if he lived in Louisville. He said, no-- So. IN. I don't know whether to be appalled at his ignorance, to admire his blissful unaware-ness, or to thank God that we live in a country where we don't have to pay that much attention to politics.
-I met three young ladies smoking outside the Sprint store on 131 and one of them asked me the best questions on policy all day long. She also pointed to the business card and said "is this you?" And I said, "The statue?" That got a good laugh out of them. I'll have to use that line more often!