Wednesday, March 19, 2008

anti-war rallies in Louisville and Bloomington

I enjoyed two opportunities to speak about the need to end our efforts in Iraq. (We won the war, easily, in six weeks. We've not done so well with our attempt to build a nation.)

The event in Louisville was smaller (about 20 people) and more somber. The event in Bloomington was far larger (about 200 people) and more energetic. Both events were dampened by the rain and cold weather.

The former was more in the style of a memorial service; the latter was billed as a rally or demonstration. The former was not overtly partisan; the latter had many references to the 9th District's Congressional race.

I enjoyed the speeches-- and especially, the partisan punchline I could deliver in Bloomington-- about the three choices that voters have in this district.

I asked the audience whether it was good enough to have someone who would pursue the status quo in Iraq (or McCain's 100-year war). They yelled no. But I said, "if there's anyone here who wants that, you can vote for Sodrel".

Then I asked the audience whether it was good enough to have someone who would vote for non-binding resolutions but then vote to fund the War over and over. Again, they yelled no. But I said, "if there's anyone here who wants that, you can vote for Hill".

I closed by noting that there were three candidates who support the third option: working hard to get our troops out of Iraq quickly (me and two Dem primary candidates-- Gretchen Clearwater and John Bottorff). That's what this crowd was looking for. Hopefully, they're principled enough to stick with the same level of commitment they're asking from candidates. How can it be any other way?